Fast Track process EU citizens
The Expat Centre Maastricht Region offers a fast-tracked way of registering employees from the EU/EEA who have relocated to the Netherlands as a kennismigrant (highly skilled migrant), onderzoeker (researcher) or top artiest (professional artist) along with their family members. To be eligible for a fast track registration the applicant’s employer must be an Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst – IND erkend referent (recognised sponsor).
Regular EU process
- European Union (EU) citizens are able to move and work freely without restriction in EU Member States, no visas or work permits are required.
- When moving to the Netherlands EU citizens need to register with the municipality within 5 working days of arrival. They are required to make an appointment with all family members attending in person and ensure the following documentation is provided:
- a valid passport or identity card;
- non-EU citizens must also have a valid residence permit, be in the process of applying for one or have intent to apply within 4 weeks;
- a tenancy agreement, or a signed statement with a photocopy of the passport of the main occupant, stating that they are allowed to register at that address, or a document that proves that the applicant is the owner of a property: a deed of ownership or a deed of transfer;
The following documents are not necessarily required at the registration appointment however must be supplied for administrative purposes:
- an original or legalised copy of the applicant’s birth certificate;*
- if applicable, an original or legalised copy of the applicant’s marriage/divorce certificate.*
- Processing of the application can take up to 4 weeks.
* If the document is written in a language other than English, German, French or Dutch a translation must be provided by a sworn translator and in some cases the translated document needs to be legalised.
EU employees Fast Track process
- EU employees of an IND recognised sponsor can use the Fast Track process to register for their Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number) at the Expat Centre Maastricht Region. The employee must have an address in Maastricht or one of the participating municipalities.
- Employees receive their BSN by post within 3 days after municipal registration at Expat Centre Maastricht Region.