Fast Track process
Expat Centre Maastricht Region, Gemeente Maastricht and the Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst IND –(Immigration and Naturalisation Service) have initiated a pilot from January 2020 to provide fast tracked registration procedures and immigration service provisions in the region. New arrivals from both EU/EEA countries and non-EU/EEA countries who have relocated to the Netherlands as a kennismigrant (highly skilled migrant), onderzoeker (researcher) or top artiest (professional artist) along with their family members are eligible for this service. Up until now only new arrivals from EU/EEA countries could utilise this service in Maastricht.
The formal procedures consist of collecting residence permits / taking biometric details, registering with the municipality and receiving a personal consultation about living and working in Zuid-Limburg. Furthermore, with the Fast Track process, the Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number), which is the first and most crucial element for a solid landing in the Netherlands, is issued within 3 days of application, instead of the legally stipulated 4 week waiting period.
The IND is present their service desk located in Maastricht International Centre, every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday for the specific purposes of issuing residence permit cards, collecting biometric information, issuing residence endorsements stickers or return visas. Visits to the IND service desk in Maastricht are by appointment only.
When a residence permit is ready for collection in Maastricht a letter will be sent by the IND. This letter is needed when collecting the permit card.
The Fast Track process saves time and reduces the administration required for employers and employees alike. The process is instigated and conducted by employers and they manage the process for their employees. Below is a brief outline of the Fast Track process.
EU employees process
- EU citizens working for an IND recognised sponsor (listed under Public Register for Recognised Sponsors) can use the Fast Track process to register for their BSN at Expat Centre Maastricht Region. The employee must have an address in Maastricht or one of the participating municipalities.
Employees are sent their BSN by post within 3 working days after municipal registration at Expat Centre Maastricht Region.
Non-EU employees process
- Depending on the employee’s country of origin, the IND recognised sponsor files an application with the IND for the relevant work / residence permit.
- IND makes a decision within 2 weeks and informs employer.
- Depending on the employee’s country of origin, they can travel directly to the Netherlands or require further permits to be issued in their passport prior to travel.
- Upon arrival in the Netherlands the employee will be informed by their employers about the integral appointment via Expat Centre Maastricht Region.
This appointment consists of collecting residence permits, registering with the municipality and receiving a personal consultation about living and working in Zuid-Limburg. Furthermore, with the Fast Track process, the BSN, which is the first and most crucial element for a solid landing in the Netherlands, is issued within 3 days of application, instead of the legally stipulated 4 week waiting period.