Registration in the Netherlands

All residents in the Netherlands who are planning to stay more than 4 months in 1 year must register with the munipality where they intend to live. Their details are recorded in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database). This appointment needs to be in person, with all family members present. 

All residents new to the Netherlands are required by law to register their presence. In order to register you must first have an address in the Netherlands. Officially you should register within 5 days of arriving. In practice this is often difficult, but you should make an appointment to register as soon as possible.

If staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months there is a special procedure for registration: Registratie Niet Ingezetenen – RNI (registration as a non-inhabitant).

Expat Centre Maastricht Region, Gemeente Maastricht and the Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst – IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service) have initiated a pilot from January 2020 to provide fast-track registration procedures and immigration service provisions in the region.

The formal procedures consist of collecting residence permits, registering with the municipality and receiving a personal consultation about living and working in Zuid-Limburg. Furthermore, with the Fast Track process, the Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number), which is the first and most crucial element for a solid landing in the Netherlands, is issued within 3 days of application, instead of the legally stipulated 4 week waiting period.

Employees of companies that are IND erkend referent (IND recognised sponsor) can make use of these services via applications made by their employer. These employers can schedule an appointment for this service by contacting us.

Other foreign citizens who wish to work, live or study in Zuid-Limburg can also utilise the IND service desk in Maastricht for the collection of residence documents, to supply biometric information or to receive their residence endorsement stickers or return visas.

More information on this procedure in our Companies section. 

Non-European Union citizens will need a residence permit to complete their registration. Go to our Visas & Permits section for more information regarding work and residence permits.

Moving within the Netherlands

When moving residences, but staying within a municipality, the municipality must be notified as soon the move is complete.

When relocating within the Netherlands, you must register with the new municipality. As soon as registration with the new municipality is complete, deregistration the old municipality takes place automatically. This is usually completed online via the website of the new municipality, where responsibility for paying municipal (local) taxes (in Limburg these are paid to the BsGW) will also automatically be adjusted and transferred.

Leaving the Netherlands

When moving to another country from the Netherlands it is mandatory to deregister from the municipality. 

Leaving the Netherlands