In the Netherlands a visum (visa) and a verblijfsvergunning (residence permit) is issued by the Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst – IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service).


A visum (visa) grants the holder (and their family) leave to enter, return, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

The Netherlands is part of the Schengen Area. The Schengen Area is a group of countries with open border controls. Citizens of the countries within the Schengen Area are able to travel freely to other Schengen Area countries for a maximum of 90 days within a 180-day period. This unrestricted travel is allowed subject to the condition that the passport holder has a valid passport that does not expire within the first 6 months of stay.

Citizens of the countries that don’t need a visa to enter the Schengen Area are not allowed to reside in the travelling destination for the time desired without any other legal permission.

The number of days permitted to stay in any of the Schengen Area countries doesn’t exceed 90 days or 3 months every half a year needless of the travel reasons. The fact that you are able to obtain a Schengen visa to enter and reside for a certain amount of time in a Schengen Area doesn’t apply to working or studying in that country.

There are further conditions for those who are required to apply for a Schengen Area Visa.

There are several types of visa available for entry into the Netherlands. Applying for a visa usually takes place at the embassy or consulate of the Netherlands in the country of residence, prior to departure. More information about visas can be found at the Immigratie- en NaturalisatiedienstIND (Immigration and Naturalisation) website.