Cross-Border Information Point

Help and advice for anyone with the European nationality with questions concerning living or working in the cross-border region. Specifically concerning topics as taxes, social security, pensions, benefits, labour law and more.

Do you live in the Netherlands and work in Belgium?

Employees working in Belgium pay bedrijfsvoorheffing (income tax). This also applies to residents of the Netherlands who work in Belgium. You pay belasting (tax) in Belgium on the income you earn in Belgium. However, there are several exceptions. If you work in Belgium, you also have to take out ziekteverzekering (health insurance). You can find more information about this on the GrensInfoPunt website. Also find out about your rights regarding zwangerschapsverlof (maternity leave), kinderbijslagen (child benefits) and kinderopvang (child care).

Do you live in Belgium and work in the Netherlands?

An employee working in the Netherlands has to pay inkomstenbelasting (income tax) in the Netherlands. This also applies to residents of Belgium who work in the Netherlands. A resident of Belgium who works in the Netherlands also falls under the social security system in the Netherlands. However, this does not mean that you lose all the rights of a worker employed in Belgium. For instance, you will be obliged to take out zorgverzekering (health insurance) in the Netherlands, but you will keep your own mutual health organisation and you can also continue to make use of medical care in Belgium. Pensioen (pension) arrangements are also different in the Netherlands. You can have your diploma valuation recognised by various bodies in the Netherlands, depending on the type of education and profession.

Do you live in the Netherlands and work in Germany?

If so, you will have to pay Lohnsteuer (income tax) in Germany. You will also be covered under Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung (social insurance) in Germany. However, as a resident of the Netherlands, you will still have certain rights in the Netherlands. For example, you will continue to have health insurance in the Netherlands and you can see your own doctor. If you become unemployed in Germany, you can apply for a WW-uitkering (unemployment benefit) in the Netherlands. There is a possibility to get Kindergeld (child benefit) from Germany in addition to the amount from the Netherlands. If you take a job in Germany, you are guaranteed to build up Gesetzliche Rentenversicherung – GRV (pension) in Germany. However this is a different system of pension accrual from that in the Netherlands.

Do you live in Germany and work in the Netherlands?

If you live in Germany and work in the Netherlands, you will have to pay inkomstenbelasting (income tax) in the Netherlands. You will also be covered under social security in the Netherlands. There may be exceptions to this rule. If you work in the Netherlands, you will have to register with a zorgverzekeraar (health insurer) yourself. You can keep your own Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung (health insurance) and continue to visit your own doctor in Germany. If you become unemployed, you will have to apply for Arbeitslosengeld (unemployment benefit) in Germany. Pension arrangements are different in the Netherlands. To be able to work in the Netherlands, you will need a Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number).

Your personal situation

Please always bear in mind that the information on this site is general. There are many factors that may influence your personal situation. What status do you have: employee, civil servant or self-employed? Do you work in one or more countries? How often do you work in a particular country? Does your partner have income and from which country? Do you have children? Do you have your own home? For information and advice tailored to your specific personal situation, we advise you to contact one of our expert consultants - Tel: 0031 (0)43 350 50 20.

Spreekuur (Joint consultation hour)

GIP Maastricht organises a joint consultation hour with the Bureau voor Belgische Zaken – BBZ (Bureau for Belgian Affairs), the Bureau voor Duitse Zaken – BDZ (Bureau for German Affairs)  and the Team Grensoverschrijdend Werken en Ondernemen – GWO (Cross-Border Employment and Enterprise team) ones a month.

This consultation hour takes place at Gemeente Maastricht’s municipal offices located in Mosae Forum and is intended for all cross-border workers and commuters from the Zuid-Limburg region. You can make an appointment by calling 0031 (0)43 350 50 20 or sending an email to Grensinfopunt Maastricht.

Regular consultation hours

The consultants at Grensinfopunt Maastricht – GIP (Cross Border Information Point in Maastricht) are available from Tuesday-Friday.

13:30 - 17:00 (by appointment only)
09:00–17:00 (by appointment only)  

Contact us
Visit website