Making it easier for knowledge migrants to work in the Netherlands

21 November 2022

Since July this year, in many cases knowledge migrants have been able to work for up to 4 months in the Netherlands without a verblijfsvergunning (residence permit) or verblijfsaantekening – VAA (residence endorsement sticker). This change in regulation will apply until at least 22 January 2023.

This relaxation of the requirements is possible in the following situations:

The knowledge migrant has applied for their first residence permit without a machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf – MVV (authorisation for temporary stay), or has had their application to extend their residence permit approved.

The notification letter for the above, it must state that the highly skilled migrant is allowed to work.

When is a residence permit or sticker needed?

The relaxation of the requirements does not apply to employees with an Intra Corporate Transferee (ICT) residence permit, a European Blue Card or a verblijfsvergunning onderzoeker (researcher residence permit). A residence endorsement sticker is also needed if an extension has been applied for which has not yet been decided and the residence permit has expired. This applies to all purposes of stay. The extension must involve work with the same employer.